The Gold Coast is home to one of the most extensive Health and Knowledge Precincts in Australia.
The Gold Coast is providing a haven for innovation and paving the way for a brighter and healthier future, with the health care industry representing the city’s largest employment sector.
Gold Coast Health delivers a broad range of secondary and tertiary health services from 13 community facilities, two major allied health precincts and two hospitals – the Gold Coast University Hospital, which has the busiest emergency department in Australia, and Robina Hospital.
These public services are supplemented by major medical facilities at Pindara Private Hospital, our largest private hospital with 384 licensed beds; Gold Coast Private Hospital, the only private hospital in Queensland to provide acute medical care in the home, and John Flynn Private Hospital an acute care facility located at Tugun.
The Gold Coast health and medical sector employs almost 40,000 skilled workers, with about 9,000 full-time equivalent staff, working for Gold Coast University Hospital, making it our city’s largest employer.
Meet some of our Gold Coast med-tech businesses
- Virtual Psychologist – Australia’s first text counselling service delivered by qualified mental health professionals.
- BiVACOR – world’s first artificial heart designed to take over the complete function of a patient’s failing heart.
- Precise Light Surgical – designer and manufacturer of the Optical Scalpel (O-Pel™) that precisely removes selected tissue while sparing surrounding nerves and blood vessels.
- Laronix – creators of Bionic Voice, the world’s first smart wearable electronic voice prosthesis for laryngectomy people.
- Datarwe – smart technology that uses live patient data to unlock new insights for hospitals and health professionals during patient care.
The Gold Coast’s population is growing at a much faster rate than the Queensland state average. It is estimated that our population will have grown by more than 310,000 over two decades to 2041.
Newborns and the aged will be a key driver of our healthcare sector’s growth. Maternity services are an area of excellence for our world-class health sector. Gold Coast Health is the first full health service in Australia to earn prestigious international Magnet Recognition for nursing and midwifery services.
Gold Coast University Hospital looks after a growing number of tourists and non-Gold Coast residents, leading to continued upgrades in our technology and facilities.
Behind the scenes, health, science, and digital technology are converging. Researchers, clinicians and companies are collaborating at the cutting-edge of innovation, positioning the Gold Coast Health and Knowledge Precinct to be at the forefront of preventative health care.