Permits and regulations

Photographer: James Willis

Live music permits and regulations

If you are planning a festival or concert in one of our beautiful outdoor sites, you will need to liaise with a number of stakeholders and apply for various permits and licences depending on your event requirements and who owns the site. Here’s a checklist to help with your planning.


Event approvals

Outdoor spaces are governed by either State Government or Council legislation. The approval process requires consultation and engagement with several stakeholders depending on which site you are interested in.

Local measures are in place to ensure the process is as smooth as possible, including a Music Industry Development Officer, and an events approval team. The Event Approvals team within the City Events Unit can be contacted via or 07 5581 7515.

Application for use of council-controlled land

Application for use of private land


Licensing and permits


Alcohol management

The Queensland Government regulates the management and licensing of supplying alcohol for your event through the Office of Liquor and Gaming Regulation (OLGR). You will need to Include with your application to OLGR an Alcohol, Safety and Event Management Plan.

Submit your application early to avoid any unnecessary stress. Processing of your liquor licence may take up to 38 business days

For all questions in relation to adding liquor to your event, please contact the Office of Liquor and Gaming Regulation (OLGR):

Phone: 13 QGOV (13 74 68)
Hours: Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm


Risk management

The Queensland Government has a range of event templates, including a risk management plan available on their website.
The City has developed an alternate risk management plan template(DOCX, 32KB)
The Australian Government has developed a strategy for protecting crowded places from terrorism. Please refer to this information as part of your risk planning for the event.


Traffic management plans

A Traffic Management Plan (TMP) must be submitted to the City of Gold Coast for all events requesting a road closure or impacting roadways/footpaths/parking facilities. The plan must:

  • be prepared by a qualified Traffic Management Designer (TMD). A list of registered traffic management organisations with qualified TMD personnel can be accessed from Queensland Government Department of Transport and Main Roads
  • be endorsed by Queensland Police
  • be endorsed by City of Gold Coast, Transport and Traffic branch
  • include detailed Traffic Guidance Schemes (TGS) where applicable.

You will also need a Special Event Permit from the Queensland Police Service.[GH1]


Noise management

Four popular outdoor sites in the City have noise management plans based on acoustic modelling. The site-specific plan outlines information to ensure sound systems used for amplified music can be managed within the legislation, while ensuring a harmony between noise sensitive receivers including residences, artists, and audience.

We acknowledge the original inhabitants of this area, including the Yugambeh people and Family groups within, and recognise their connection to the land, waters and resources in the area now known as the Gold Coast.